Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Christmas Singing Review

If you are looking for a nice, quick read, I would suggest The Christmas Singing by Cindy Woodsmall. With the Christmas season quickly approaching, it is nice to have a short book (189 pages) that is packed with content to read.

To be honest, I tend to stay away from "Amish" books. I'm Mennonite and I've found a lot of authors do not distinguish the differences between Mennonite, Old Order Mennonite, Amish, etc. Author Cindy Woodsmall's pages were refreshing to me as she distinguished the differences. I cannot tell you how many people intertwine Mennonite and Amish when there are huge differences. (Amish broke off of the Mennonites...not the other way around as some think...but that is a difference story for another day.)

The Christmas Song's story is well done. Although I have never read any of the author's other books, I am assuming at least the main characters, and, probably more, are from other books. The beginning was a little slow for me as the author gave a back story so I'd know the history between Mattie and Gideon. I understand the need for the back story so I patiently waded through the first few chapters. I really became hooked as soon as the story started to take off about five chapters in.

The story picks up three years after a nasty break up between Mattie and Gideon. Mattie and Gideon find themselves in the same town again after a fire destroys Mattie's business. Mattie has to move back to the same town Gideon now lives. They are continually thrown together even though Mattie's hurt is evident to all around. Can they both get past the hurt caused three years ago? Will lies told back then ever be forgiven?

The Christmas Song is a story of twists and turns, lies, betrayal, forgiveness, and love. I recommend this short story during any season of the year.

This book was sent to me by the publisher, Waterbrook/Multnomah, for review. I am not required to give favorable review.

No comments:

Post a Comment