Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sometimes You Just Need Your Daddy

I admit it. I’m a daddy’s girl. I'm not spoiled though. (do NOT ask my older brother since you will definitely hear a different story)

When I was younger, I remember my dad lending money to some family members who were struggling. At one point, I asked him why he lent money to people. After all, I wasn’t allowed to take piano lessons because we didn’t have a piano and “pianos are too expensive”. Why in the world was he lending people money when I couldn’t have stuff!! (not that I'm bitter or anything! heehee!!) Dad said he was just doing what the Bible said.

Being young and probably was only half listening at the time, I can’t remember if this is the exact verse he quoted. The following is the closest I found to what I remembered him saying; “if a brother asks, give it to him”. Luke 6:29-31 (NIV) says: If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

Due to some unforeseen circumstances it was necessary to put all pride aside and ask for help. Oh, how I hated to ask him for help. After it was all said and done, I felt 20 pounds lighter (now, if I could really make the scales say that, I’d be one happy camper!). My dad’s voice sounded almost grateful that he could help us in our time of need.

If my earthly father is like that, imagine how our Heavenly Father feels when we come to Him. Unimaginable isn’t it?

Is my dad perfect? Oh my, no. He is human, therefore imperfect. But our Heavenly Father is perfect in His timing and His ways. We just tend to let our ways get in the way of His perfect ways.

I realize some do not have an earthly father that is the best example or perhaps not even in their lives. I will not make light of those situations. But we all have people in our lives who have nurtured us along our journey through life. So, take some time today to thank our Heavenly Father for your earthly father or a person(s) who have been instrumental in your life.

2 comments:

  1. An nice post. I don't think most men today realize the influence and impact that they can have on their families as well as others around them. Making a stand for Christ can impact not only this generation but future generations too.
    My Dad passed away when I was only 5 but he had a major impact on my life and my future. I believe that my relationship with God is strong because of my Dad's example.

    ReplyDelete