Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lessons From A Cloudy Mirror


Ten years ago, hubby and I went to a marriage retreat. Held at a camp during full-bloom-colors of fall, it was a great experience.

What I remember the most, though, was what happened the last day. Right before we left, the group of 6 couples, the camp director and the speaker and his wife participated in communion. This was the most memorable communion I have ever had or have had since.

We gathered around a very filthy, cloudy mirror which was placed on the floor. We were each given a cloth rag. When the leader would prompt us to respond to the reading, we would each clean a small area of the mirror.

I don't remember a lot of the reading. What I remember is our response..."and the greatest of these is love" from 1 Corinthians 13:13. The cleaning of the mirror also came from the same chapter but verse 12 "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

No one has a perfect marriage. As I cleaned my little spot of the mirror, I began to realize that the things we go through in our marriage are just like that mirror. Some of our problems are cloudy. But once we begin to work at clearing things up, we will have a different perspective. Things are not always as they seem. Some issues just need a little clearing while others need some elbow grease.

And as we work through those cloudy times, isn't it great to have ".....faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

**A blog post that really touched me this week is this. What beautiful words describing true unconditional love.

Then travel over here to read what a box of candy hearts from God would say.

And don't forget to read Writer Daughter's touching post about being God's Daughter here.**

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are some great thoughts. Thanks for linking to my post. It made my day to see this!

    I'm such a ditz. I forgot to add my link list back after I redesigned the site. Then today I realized I couldn't find my blog list on my site and realized I hadn't put it back.

    You're on there now. So I don't miss your posts. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete