Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Garlic Sauce for Stir-Fry

The other day what to make for supper was lying heavily on my mind. I didn't have to work that day and when that happens, I like to make a good supper. Well, I was stuck. I remembered a pan I hadn't used in a while. A stir-fry pan bought on clearance. At the time I had all kinds of uses in mind for this steal of a deal. Yeah. Didn't happen. 

I went on a quest for a good stir-fry sauce to use with chicken. I found the following recipe at cooks.com and tweaked it to our family's taste. While reading through the comments about this recipe, one commenter mentioned it was more of a beef than chicken sauce.

Ding! I had leftover roast in the refrigerator from two nights prior. Sounded like a great way for us to use the meat before it became a questionable fuzzy subject in the fridge!

It.was.a.hit! Well, to everyone but one who said he could eat it. Obviously there is a distinct difference between able to eat and liking the said food. I told him to just eat it.

Without further commentary except for the italics, the recipe.


Garlic Sauce (marinade)

2 lg garlic cloves, minced (or 2 t store-bought preminced garlic...in a jar in produce section)
1/4 c soy sauce or Bragg All Natural Liquid Aminos (I think healthier and less sodium)
1/4 c water
1/4 c honey (I added a good extra 'squeeze' more to mine)
1 T vegetable oil
1 T cornstarch (I used flour so a child with corn allergy could eat this)


Combine all ingredients and whisk.

1 # boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips OR
left-over roast cut into thin strips and cut into bite size pieces (we used left over beef)
Veggies of choice cut thinly: onions, carrots, peas (we didn't have snow peas), mushrooms, etc. (I wouldn't used water chestnuts because it tends to take over the dish in my humble opinion)
1 T oil

Stir your meat of choice into the marinade and mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, stirring once or twice.

Very easy! Very yummy!
When meat has been marinaded, in a large skillet, heat 1 T oil. Saute onions and carrots until tender-crisp. (I added a touch of salt to this to let the sugars come out of the onions) If your meat is raw (not left over from a few nights before like I did), using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to skillet. Stir-fry about 5 minutes or until chicken is done(if using leftover meat, just dump meat and sauce in all at once) Add reserved marinade; continue to cook and stir until thickened. If adding peas and mushrooms, add them during the previous step. When everything is warm, either serve with rice or lo-mein noodles. (I had linguine and spaghetti on hand so cooked those to use)

2 comments: