Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Did you pray first?

A dear, dear friend reminded me of something very simple yet hard. She didn't ask, "Did you pray first" as an admonishment. No, she asked it in love and as a reminder to herself as well.

Something awful happens. What do I do? Reach for the phone to call a friend. When really, yes really, I should be going to God.

My Sunday School class talked about this very thing a few Sundays ago. Why is this so hard? We all agreed we like to hear a person on the phone. We feel like we are "heard". We like the instant gratification of spilling our guts and "hearing" a voice saying it is going to be okay or giving advice or simply acknowledging.

There is nothing wrong with talking to friends when you are having the worse day "ever". Nothing. In fact it is wonderful. However, when I go to friends first, I usually take God out of the equation all together. Sad thing to admit but it is painfully true.

And, while my friend and I were talking this morning, she posted two small post-it-notes saying "Pray first" on her phone and on her computer. Excellent idea!

So, all that to say....I encourage you to not take God out of your bad days and go to Him first. THEN pick up the phone or email. Friends are wonderful and God made us friends for a reason. But it wasn't to replace Him.

I needed that reminder today.

My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me."
And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming."
Psalm 27:8


No comments:

Post a Comment