Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hey, Jude

Have you read Jude lately? Hint, it is in the Bible. Another hint, it is a small little book with only one short chapter. And, its location is before Revelation. I know, because I had to ask.

Jude the chosen one in our adult Sunday School class. And like any bad student, I waited until we were ready to step out the door for church Sunday morning to even look at the lesson help. Like a mad woman, I perused my Bible's table of contents. I couldn't find poor Jude. It was beginning to feel like a "Where's Waldo" book. I had to ask a daughter of its location....sheesh, for a minute there, I thought my Bible didn't have Jude! Panic adverted....Jude was lost but now he is found (sounds like that would make a catchy song!).

I would definitely encourage you to read little, old Jude. It is quite interesting and one can learn a lot in just a page. Go ahead, jump over to Jude and read...I'll wait.

Did you read it?

Isn't that little book of the Bible somethin' else. Seems to me it has everything in it. It has an urgency at the beginning that makes one want to read faster. Then it launches in to the past. History. And, what happened when they didn't follow God's path. History...do we ever really learn from it? When I was in high school, my history teacher was extremely boring. Seriously. I'm not sure I learned a thing. Though, I could tell you how his shirts were strangely tucked in and how he stood....but that would be mean and for another post! ☺ I think the only thing I learned in his class was when a fellow student asked why learning all this history was important. His response is still with me today. He said, "We need to learn about history so we can learn from their mistakes." Now, to me, we still have a long, long way to go in learning from past mistakes. But, it does make sense. Especially when you read verse 5-7.

There is even some rebuking, "woe-ing" and grumbling going on. You know you're in trouble with that combo! Verse 13 (about the waves foaming up their shame) really gave me a visual. I had watched the news that morning and saw the waves bringing oil to shore (from the Gulf Coast oil disaster). Waves (our life) can be beautiful, but when there is dirt (sin) being washed ashore, yuck!

But the writer saved the best for last. After he tries to warn them, the encouragement breaks forth.
"To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."
What a great way to end a letter, don't you think? I love the word picture in this...to HIM who is able to keep you from FALLING..... Close your eyes and imagine that! Ought to put a huge smile on your face. ☺

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. What a great way to end that book! I'm definitely going to look around online for a study on Jude. Thanks for sharing that, Deanna. :)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete