Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Spirit Lead Me

Not to scare you off or anything, but while I was soaking in the bath tub (go on...try to get that imagine out of your head...you're so welcome) I was listening to music. Water and music go together for me so just play along.

I've listened to Oceans by Hillsong United many times. However, this time the lyrics really got me thinking. That is your cue to run if you don't want to read my thoughts. It is a scary place, my mind, so be warned if you decide you're brave enough to tread further into the recesses of my mind...

The song Oceans is the Biblical truth of Peter walking on the water. Jesus called him "out upon the waters. "The great unknown where feet may fail". Full lyrics in the video at the bottom of this post.

I don't like failing. Do you? It's embarrassing. People laugh at you...not with you as they'd like you to believe. I fail people. I fail with words. I fail with love. I fail with grace. I fail when I am more concerned with my hurt feelings or what others think of me. 

Aren't I to be more concerned with what God thinks of me? When I push aside what others think, I find myself only caring about what God wants. "My faith will stand". 

As the Biblical truth of Peter goes on, he takes his eyes off of Jesus. The minute he does I can just hear him thinking, This is impossible. And, he sinks. What once was possible became impossible and he no longer was a man walking on top of the water. Now, he was shark bait. How many, many, many (you get the point) times have I failed because the inner-voices screamed impossible! you're not good enough! you'll fail...again!

"And I will call upon Your name" as he cried out for Jesus to save him. Although Jesus was disappointed, He still helped him and Peter "rest[ed] in His embrace". In my humanness I try to do everything myself. I can do it by myself like a toddler cries. God wants us to do all things with him. Let God take the lead and we follow. Yeah, that is the part of Peter I can relate to. He thought he was walking on water under his own power until doubt entered his mind.

Peter realized his mistake after the fact. Boy, doesn't that sound familiar. "[Jesus] grace abounds in the deepest waters [and His] sovereign hand [is] my guide. [I] fail and fear surrounds me. [But He] never failed and [He] won't start now." Such peace and reassurance in those words. His grace abounds. Let that soak into your mind and soul.

May this be our prayer:

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior






NOTE: while I was working on this post over the last two weeks, an author wrote about her experience with this song recently. I'd like to say "great minds work alike" and all that but she is much more eloquent on this subject so head over to her post. You won't regret it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment