Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Sweet & Sticky Chicken

Don't let the title fool you. This chicken also has some kick! 

Since Mother's Day is fast approaching, this would make a great meal for dear mom. Very easy and yummy! I've actually made it twice and I have some tips for you. 

First, the recipe. It is a Rachael Ray recipe from her daytime show. Click here for the recipe and video. Now, don't be afraid of the unpronounceable words. I was scared at first but then I did what I told our kids when learning to read or when a test overwhelmed...take one word at a time. ;)

As with any recipe (with the exception of baking...well, sometimes), a recipe is only a map. See the recipe below for my variation. 


Picture from Rachael Ray's website. Not my kitchen...sigh.


Ingredients:

  • About 3 tablespoons Tamari (aged soy sauceor liquid amino I used Coconut Liquid Aminos (does not taste like coconut!) found in health food stores. If I wouldn't have had that on hand, I would have used Braggs Liquid Aminos (better than regular soy sauce)
  • 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup I used honey
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seed I did not use this because it just sounded blick! 
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes My family had differing views on this amount. Our son and I thought it was too spicy hot. The rest of the family said it was perfect.
  • Zest and juice of 1 lemon I had lemon juice in the refrigerator and used two quick squirts of the bottle.
  • About 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 8 to 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs I used a bag of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins
  • Scallions, very thinly sliced on an angle I didn't have but I would imagine it would have made a pretty presentation
  • Harissa, thinned with olive oil or hot water or Sriracha sauce, for garnish Again, didn't have; didn't use.
Whisk together Tamari, balsamic, honey, garlic, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and juice and olive oil. Place chicken in marinade and preheat grill to medium-high. Marinade chicken 15 minutes, turning occasionally.

Grill chicken for 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Grill asparagus to mark evenly, 3-5 minutes. Slice chicken and layer with asparagus tips; top with scallions and drizzle with thinned out Harissa or Sriracha, and serve.

Since our grill is out of commission, I just put the breast on a griddle pan I have. They cooked quickly and tasted great!!!

Rachael Ray paired this with asparagus as you'll see in the original recipe. I didn't have any....aka I was unprepared and this recipe sounded really good since I didn't have anything else planned and I had most of the ingredients...but there are many things you can serve beside it. Rice, Quinoa, lo-mein noodles, mashed potatoes, stir-fry veggies and the list could go on. 

Let me know if you try it and what you think. 

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment