Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

O, Perfect Day

Her hands ached from the death grip. Her head felt like it was about to fall off from all the spinning. Breathe, breathe. Oh, this is not going to end well. Breathe, breathe.....make it stop, Lord, make it stop!

And just like that, it all stopped. Silence. Blessed silence. She took inventory of her body to make sure she was okay. Head still attached, check. Fingers pried loose, check. Stomach flip-flopping, check. Legs moving, check. Thank you, Lord.

Taking a deep breath, Anna attempted to extricate herself gracefully from the source of turmoil. I can do this, I can do this.

"Here. Let me help you." came a voice which had to be that of an angel. A very good angel indeed.

Anna felt his gentle touch before she could see this angels face. He carefully helped her to stand and guide her to safety.

Finding her voice, Anna felt the overwhelming need to explain the situation. "I'm so sorry to be a bother. I just have it in my head that I can ride these dumb rides at the fair. I mean really, a woman in her late 20s should be able to handle a kiddie ride like this. A gigantic strawberry that goes round and round....Oooo, maybe I should sit down."

"I have just the spot picked out for you." the gentleman said as he directed her across the midway.

"Do I sense the sound of someone trying to not laugh at a woman who nearly died in that strawberry some call a 'fun ride'?"

"Well, now that you put it that way, it does sound pretty humorous. I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing with you. There's a difference, you know."

"Yeah, the difference is I'm not laughing! And if I could actually focus my eyes, I'd so glare at you right now!" Anna cried as she finally reached the bench and plopped down.

"Mind if I have a seat beside you?" Her somewhat charming stranger-helper said.

And only then did Anna finally get a chance to see his face. A very kind and nice looking face, at that.

"I'm Noah, by the way."

Anna just stared. She couldn't believe her luck. Of all times to make a fool of herself, she had to expose her real self to a gorgeous, caring super-hero of a man. Lord, seriously, we need to talk about my knack for truly embarrassing myself. I mean really, Lord?

Humor twinkled in his eyes as he said, "And you are?"

Oh, my. He thinks I'm a complete idiot. What's next, Lord, my skin turns green and I hurl all over him? "I'm Anna. And I've completely embarrassed myself in front of a total stranger who has taken on the role of a Knight. I'm okay. Or at least I'll be okay once my stomach realizes I'm not on that dumb kiddie ride anymore! I won't take anymore of your time. You've gone above and beyond your Knightly call of duty."

With a slight laugh, Noah said, "A Knight, huh? Well, I'll have to check the handbook but I think I have to stay with the damsel in distress until she isn't in distress. They might take away my Knighthood if I fail to do that." And then...he winked.

He. Winked.

Oh the nerve of that man!!! This only gets better and better Anna sarcastically thought.

"Um, okay. I wouldn't want to get you in trouble with the other Knights." Anna broke eye contact and looked around. People strolled by without noticing the awkward cloud hanging over Anna's head. Okay, Lord, maybe You will get me out of this yet with a little dignity left over.

"Are you sure you are okay? You're still looking pale."

"Yes, yes. I'm fine and thank you for pointing out how I don't particularly look good." huffed Anna as she ran her right hand through her hair while smoothing down her shirt with her left. Ugh. I'm a mess. And why is my stomach still flip-flopping? And why is my leg uncontrollably shaking?

"Listen, I'm just concerned. A beautiful lady turning pale is not something this Knight walks aways from. I was over by the strawberry ride waiting on some friends. Let me text them and let them know I'll meet up with them later."

Seriously, who is this guy. Wait...did he call me beautiful? Oh, Lord, what is going on here. Are You up to something and didn't inform me during our talk this morning? Lord? Lord? Oh, fine. I'll go along with this...

"So, do you ride the kiddie rides and always get...um...."

Whipping her head around so she could look him in the face, "Sick. The word your looking for is sick. And yes. Yes I do."

"Then why do it?"

"It is something I have to do. I have to prove to my...."

Perfect. Just perfect. Can this day get any better?

To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment