Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there.
I hope your day is special!!!
May your little ones make a you a lovely gift
(or mess in the kitchen!! ☺).
And, may your older children remember it is Mother's Day!! ☺

Mother's Day is a bag of mixed emotions for me. In some ways I think it is a hyped-up day. In other ways, I think it is nice to be recognized. I also know for some it can be a day of painful memories...the child a couple prayer for and never happens, a woman who has just lost a baby, a single woman who fears she'll never be a mom. Or like me and my hubs, this day reminds you that your mom is no longer on this earth.

Some years it doesn't faze me. Other years I just cry. I cry because I miss her. I cry because I'm jealous that people older than us still have their moms. (I know that makes me look bad but it is sadly true) I cry because our children do not have a grandma (on either side). I guess that is what hurts the most--our children not experiencing how great it is to have a grandma. My mom has been in Heaven for almost 11 years, my hubs mom, almost 3 (or is it 4?) years. Life goes on and it does get better. The pain lessen but it is there. And there is always the knowledge that we will be reunited one day. That brings a smile to my face.

There are older women who I look up to now. I listen and try to glean wisdom from them. While they will never replace my mom, it is nice to know others can become "mom-like" to me. And that makes me feel good.

Here is a poem my SIL sent to my brother on facebook.

"If roses grow in heaven, Lord please pick a bunch for me, place them in my mother's arms and tell her they're from me. Tell her I love her and miss her, and when she turns to smile place a kiss upon her cheek. Hold her for a while because remembering her is easy, I do it everyday but there is an ache within my heart that will never go away.
Mom, I love and miss you."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I know your Mom would be proud of you--because you are a great Mom to her grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete