Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Story Time


"The last time I was here I told my kids how I drove here for doctor visits when I was pregnant with them." my friend relayed as we drove in the city. "They've never listened so closely and wanted to hear more stories like that."

I agreed with my friend because I, too, notice that when we tell our children story which we may think boring or have little to do with anything, they are all ears. Especially if it has anything to do with them. There is a natural curiosity that is exposed when stories are told about them or a family member. It is part of their history that I, as a parent, just take for granted.

Them: "How do you know all the words to that song?" Me: "Uh, the 80's?"

Them: "When I was little......?"

What ever happened to story-telling? When is the last time I told our kids a story? Not one written by an author and bought in a store. A story that comes from something experienced. I believe we may have lost something in this age of technology and busyness.

A few years ago, our adult Sunday School class studied the book, God's Story, Our Story by Michele Hershberger. It is an introduction to Christian faith from an Anabaptist perspective. To me, it reinforced the importance of sharing my story....my faith story, my life story. What happens in my life shapes my faith and visa versa. But, I need the courage to be real---the good, bad and the ugly real.

Do yourself a favor. Tell a real-life story to your kids. It doesn't have to be fancy, just real. And if you start by telling a story about them, your chances of eye-rolling will diminish significantly! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment