Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Because We Want Puppies, Rainbows and Happy Clouds

Puppies. The smell, the energy, the tail wagging, the licking and running.
Rainbows. The promise God made and perhaps there really is a pot-o-gold at the end.
Happy Clouds. Well, I just threw that in there because it reminds me of the painter who painted "happy clouds" and "happy trees" said in a relaxed "happy" voice.

Yesterday, most of our family participated in the End It movement. Click on this link to find out why. We started the day off positive, energized and ready to answer if anyone asked about the red 'x' on our hands. And, if the bloggy world readers react the same way those persons our real life acted, I won't "cram" this down your throat again.....well, until perhaps next year if End It has an awareness day again. ;)

If you did not participate in this movement, that is fine and dandy. We all have passions for certain things and this is becoming one of mine. I do not judge you. (This is just a commentary on the responses I received yesterday.)

We didn't cram anything down any one's throat. Perhaps when people asked us why there was a red 'x' on our hands they just didn't know how to respond. Most of the time it seemed like people were making a joke about the 'x'.

"What did you do last night that you have an 'x'?" To which I responded, "Today is a day to raise awareness and shine a light on slavery." Chirp, chirp, chirp and no more eye contact from the person who had just asked. In fact, I felt dismissed.

"What's the 'x' for?" asked another. So, I tried a different response. "It's to shine a light on slavery. You know, like bonded labor, forced labor and human trafficking." This person's response? "How is that {the red 'x'} going to help?" "To raise awareness that slavery still exists. If you go to enditmovement.com it will give you a ton of information." I say in a non-confrontational way. Person's response, "You know you shouldn't put ink on your skin."

The conversation in my head as I walked away: How is the red 'x' going to help? Well, how is a little pink pin going to help breast cancer? Or a red dress for women's heart disease month? Or wearing a blue shirt for abuse awareness? Or a puzzle piece for autism? I shouldn't wear ink on my skin? 27 million people should not have to be slaves.

Yet another asked if I went to a party the night before and when I said what it was for that person just walked away and said nothing.

And, another just kept looking at my hand but didn't say a thing.

Only one person, who said she wrote a paper for a school project on human trafficking in a large city about an hour away, had anything positive to say. We actually had a real conversation until we were interrupted.

My conclusion after a day of disappointment in responses (except for one)? People just want happy things like puppies, rainbows, butterflies, sunshine, happy clouds and trees, and blue skies forever and ever amen. We, humans, like to stick our heads in the sand when life gets ugly. I'm like that as well. If I don't know something terrible is going on then I don't have the responsibility to change it.

What is one red 'x' on my hand going to do? It reminded me to pray for those millions. It reminded me that this world is bigger than ME. It gave me a glimpse at how we, humans, like to look only as far as the end of our nose at times so we can live in a world of happy.

To be honest, when I went to End It movement's facebook page last night to see if they had an updated status, I made the mistake of reading some comments. It was sad the amount of negative comments ranging anywhere from 'there aren't slaves in the US' (false) to 'the red x is already been used so bartenders can know if you're underage' and 'how is this going to stop slavery'.

I lost a little bit of faith in mankind last night. I won't lie.

How did Martin Luther King Jr change the US? It was a movement. It was a gathering of people just like you and me wanting to make and see a change.

Today is a new day. No, the sun isn't shining. In fact we just had our first thunderstorm of the season. Today is a day of new perspective for me. Slavery still exists. Negativity will run rampant when others do not know the facts. But, I'm not going to let that get me down. I am still going to pray. I am still going to donate money when I can. I am still going to follow God's leading. The end.

(annnnddd, end of rant. you're welcome. these opinions are only mine and I'm not looking for a "blog fight" in the comment section. thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment