Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

When the Angels Sing "Ode to Carbs"

"Thanksgiving is a holiday of sides and more sides. If there is no turkey, I can live with that."

I do not know who said that brilliant quote but I think I love him or her. Turkey is just a fixture. Give me dressing/stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls and pie...mmmmm...my dad's peanut butter pie...slurp! {cue angel music}

Although, I will say I did have a love-hate relationship with turkey this year. This was the very first year I roasted a turkey...ever. She turned out beautiful, moist and flavorful. I'm proud of myself as evident of me telling a male co-worker today how great my first turkey tasted. I think his eyes may have glazed over in the middle of my brining debacle though. He obviously does not realize the importance of this major feat in my life.

What did I do to deserve such a great first-time turkey? I think I read every recipe listed online. I may or may not have watched multiple videos on brining and roasting. Or it may be from the oven bag I used when the brine started to leak out of the bag and I gave up on the brine after 10 hours. I did a little of everything everyone suggested and it was delicious!

Where is the lovely picture to prove the beautiful-ness of the bird? Three states away in my daughter's camera. I forgot to ask her for the picture. Of course in the excitement carb-drunkenness of the day I forgot to have her take a picture of the turkey before we carved it. I may or may not be still a little carb-drunk still...there are leftovers, you know.

The "hate" part was handling the naked bird...ewww...hunting for the giblets bag...how was I to know there are two ends to look in for that bag?! It required a flashlight and lifting up a flap of skin to find that durn thing...ick! May I just say those manufacturers need to have directions on how to find that dumb bag of guts.

We had a lovely day. At noon we had my dad over for our Thanksgiving meal of carbs. After everyone was stuffed like a fat teddy bear, we watched Singing in the Rain. People, it's a comedy. Seriously, who knew?!

I found the DVD of Singing in the Rain at a box store for a decent prices. Since my Dancer Daughter was coming home for the holiday, I decided to treat her to this movie. I assume everyone has heard of Singing in the Rain but how many have watched it? All six of us sat in the living room laughing, smiling and a few of us were directing the music as well. It was great. Have I convinced you to find it and watch it yet?

After the movie, we went to hubs side of the family. They had eaten roughly the same time we did. There was much football watching in one room and talking in the other going on. Plus a few of us drooling over looking at Thirty One products and catalogs. Hubs got a little concerned until he found out I was "Christmas" shopping. [wink, wink]

Today. Well, today I realized maybe wearing my special stretchy pants most of the weekend was probably not the most well-thought-out plan. I think the dryer shrunk my jeans! That is my story and I'm stickin' with it.

I hope your holiday was excellent and many memories were made. Until next time!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! :) Roasting a turkey totally scares me, so I'm very impressed! And I'm an advocate for wearing stretchy pants as much as possible.

    It was great to see you and your crew!

    ReplyDelete