Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Zucchini Overload

Well, it is about that time of year. People who planted zucchini appear from nowhere begging you to take some zucchini off of their hands...pllluuuueeeease! And, so you do. Now what do you do with it?

The old standby is to shred it and freeze it in two cup quantities so you can make zucchini bread this winter! [yes, you heard sarcasm in that sentence starting with 'so you can make...] I have thrown out frozen bags of zucchini because I've come to realize I will never...did you hear me?...ne-v-er make zucchini bread in the mist of winter. Honestly, I forget it is the in freezer until we are defrosting the freezer, oh let's say every 3-5 years that happens. I figure by then, it is a space waster.

Zucchini relish anyone? This is basically just like sweet pickle relish. Use it on hot dogs, hamburgers or anything you eat with sweet relish. Taste just like pickle relish. Here is the recipe:

5 c zucchini, ground (it is roughly two big zucchini)
3 c celery, chopped
2 c onion, ground
2/3 c green pepper, ground
6 c water
1/4 c salt

Mix these together and let set of 1 hour. Drain. Then, if you don't like you relish runny, SQUEEZE water out of the zucchini. Do not squeeze it dry though. You'll want a little liquid. Add to this mixture:

3 c white vinegar
6 c sugar
2 T mustard seed
1 t celery seed
1 t turmeric

Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Place relish in jelly canning jars and seal by placing in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

My sister-in-law thought she was fooling us one year and made an "apple" pie with zucchini. It was delic! My kids had no idea but I was cutting the pie thinking...this is so zucchini. And, as any good mom would, I didn't tell the kids until after they ate a piece. They had no clue. She told me she just used her favorite apple pie recipe and used thinly sliced zucchini instead of apples. Thinly sliced is the key.

And, to all my friends and neighbors....no, I do not want zucchini this year. But, thanks for thinking of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment