Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

It Happens In A Blink

RUE ? was on a shirt our girls owned. (are you ready? get it... red 'e')

Are you? If you died today, are you ready to meet the Lord? Am I ready?

My husband's first cousin, his wife and 10 year old daughter were involved in a tragic car accident late yesterday afternoon. A woman blew through a stop sign and hit their car. His wife, mother of their 7 children, went to be with Jesus last night. Their 10 year old daughter went to sit on Jesus lap this afternoon. Hubby's cousin is breathing on his own but is still heavily sedated. Not knowing he lost the love of his life and precious, always smiling 10 year old. His children, brother, sister and parents will tell him. It is going to be one of the hardest moments one could ever imagine. (driver of the other car died as well)

When I think of the mom of 7, I know she was ready. I know it. She was such a godly woman. And the sweet 10 year old loved Jesus. It just oozed from her. They are both dancing with Jesus tonight. That gives me peace. I'm still very sad, but know they are with our wonderful Lord.

Since the family attends our church, it was a somber day. Tears and hugs were everywhere. But what really got me were my own thoughts. It could have been us dealing with this tragedy. The accident was on the same road Writer Daughter takes to and from cosmetology school five days a week. In fact, she had school the same day as the accident. She called us to let us know she was headed home. Twenty minutes later we heard the call on our son's scanner. Twenty minutes is about the time it takes her to get to the intersection of the accident. After hearing how bad the accident was and the calling of air ambulances, I tried calling her cell phone. And tried again. And sent a text. Nothing. No familiar voice calling me or answering the calls. I will admit I had fear. Great fear.

What got me through was prayer. Even though my momma prayer of "Lord, tell her to call home" wasn't answered, and my stomach ached with fear, I knew no matter the outcome, God was with me. I praised God loudly when she pulled in the drive. (she had her phone on vibrate...she got a lecture! ☺) She never saw the accident so she went through the intersection before it happened.

But an hour later our joy turned into heart ache. I ache for our relatives. I really hurt.

I'm still dealing with the "what ifs". What if she would have left school 5 minutes later....What if the woman who ran the stop sign would have left 5 minutes later....what if, what if. I know in my mind I can't dwell on that. I know. But my mind won't stop. The tears still flow at just the thought of the what ifs.

I'm trying to focus on Isaiah 41:10: "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

As well as a little further in the chapter, vs 17 & 18: "But I the LORD will answer them; I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them. I will make rivers flow on barren heights, and springs within the valleys. I will turn the desert into pools of water, and the parched ground into springs."

It has been a difficult 24 hours. But the Lord my God is here. He is with my husband's family and with the other driver's family. He is here.

When tragedy strikes, call out to God....He is always, always with you.

1 comment: