Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

From East to West

I traveled from the East to the West this week. Yup, it was a great adventure. Plus no dime was spent. Just a lot of hard work, determination, sweat, and tears.

The excellent, fantastic, fabulous, wonderful The Doctor's Lady by author Jody Hedlund made a perfect traveling companion transporting me to another era as we traveled to the untamed west.

My ever so gracious hosts on the trip were Priscilla and Eli, the doctor, plus a few other tag-alongs. Priscilla let me in on the secrets of her heart. While Eli slowly showed me glimpses of his past and hopes for the future.

Priscilla wants to follow God's leading in the missionary field. The missionary board wants her married or it is a no go. Eli has a passion for the west but he encounters the same problem with the board. Both have secrets. Both have desires to follow God. But, trouble is brewing when they decide to get married. In name only, of course. A business partnership. I wondered just how long this "business" partnership would last.

I found it funny to watch Priscilla, ever a lady who doesn't want to make a scene, interact with the good Doctor. He loved making a scene. I found them both entertaining as we traveled and camped. It kept my mind off of the uncomfortable days and sore feet!

As we all traveled west, we came across many trials. Dangers, both of the human and animal kind. [it was a good thing we had a doctor along on this trip!] Broken hearts and triumphs abound. And, step by step we become the first women to cross the Continental Divide! I allowed Priscilla cross it first, of course. I mean really, don't you think that was a great way to pay her back for her kindness?

Will we make it to our destination in Oregon country? Will we all make it there alive? Will we learn to trust, forgive, and love one another? And, most importantly, will we follow God's leading even if it isn't what we had in mind?

When you run out to buy your own copy, tell Priscilla and Eli that Deanna sent you. They will show you a grand time...one you won't regret!

Stay tuned for an interview with Jody and a cool book giveaway in the future!


1 comment:

  1. Oh Deanna!! I think YOU are a writer in your family too! What a clever (and very complimentary) review! I loved it!! Thank you for taking the time to write it (even though you haven't been feeling well!). You're a dear! And I'm so glad that you enjoyed the journey (sore feet and all). ;-)

    ReplyDelete