Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Being Still in the Wake of Madness



Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10

Deep silence and calm. Is that what you imagine or feel when you read that verse? A sense of peace enveloping your soul?

We live in a world full of sin. Eve tasted the forbidden fruit. Adam was right there going along with it. They sinned and ever since then the world has been in upheaval. Sexual sin, wars, gossip, slander, a whole host of sins related to greed, and disease.

Right now, panic seems to arise at the mention of Ebola. In my own little corner of the world it seems as though it would never effect me or the ones I love. Whether that bubble of denial pops either sooner or later, people around the world are suffering--those who have it and those who love them.

Today, at work, I was talking with someone many states away. He commented on all the diseases "foreigners" are bringing across the borders. I didn't say much as it is not my job to agree or disagree with customers.

But it got me thinking. If deadly diseases were in my back yard, would I be at peace and be still or would fear take over at the thought of losing someone I love?

And, the persecuted Christians around the world? Oh my. That one hits close to home when someone has a missionary in their family. In my corner of this big scary world, I cannot begin to imagine being told I can't gather with others to praise God. Or the fear of dying because I won't renounce God.

There are so many diseases in this world; disease of illness and the disease of sin. No matter how many vaccines smart people come out with, no one will ever be immune to sin. "For we have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." 

There is a glorious hope. Jesus. Our Savior and Comforter. He went to that cross even when he was praying to his Father to "take this cup". He died for us. Let that soak in. All that pain, suffering and anguish, each slice of that whip was for each of our sins. Thank you, Jesus!

Psalm 91:1-2, “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment